AUSSIE FLXIBLE CLIPPER CLUB

In 1948, Pioneer Tours, part of the R.M. Ansett organisation imp...orted their first Flxible Clipper from the Flxible Company in Loudonville, Ohio, USA. After evaluation by Pioneer, Melbourne company Ansair pty Ltd, also part of Ansett, obtained a licence from the Flxible Company to build the Clipper in Australia. Ansair built 131 “Ansair Flxible Clippers” between December 1950 and June 1960, both for the Ansett organisation and other operators. The imported prototype, powered by a straight 8 cylinder Buick engine, was converted to right-hand drive by Ansair and began tour operations in January 1949.

Most of the coaches built here were 33 feet long, seated 29 or 33 passengers depending on reclining or fixed seating, had full air brakes, large luggage racks, rear luggage compartment, sliding windows, and public address and radio systems. The chassis and body were all steel with an aluminium roof; jig built in one unit; and incorporated under frames and side pillars to window level. The top, front and rear panels were built in separate jigs and brought together on the assembly line. The engine was in the rear and usually was either a Leyland, Cummins, Deutz or G.M. diesel.

PLEASE, ONLY FLXIBLE RELATED POSTS.