Faculty of Law, Saint Petersburg State University

The Faculty of Law at Saint Petersburg State University is the oldest law school and one of the biggest research centers in Russia.

History
In January 1724, Peter the Great ordered to establish the National academy and the university where scientists would tutor the students in teology, jurisprudence, medicine and philosophy.

The faculty of law was the biggest at Saint Petersburg University by the end of 19th century (1335 of 2675 students were studying there in 1894).

During the 19th–20th centuries such famous scholars took part in life of the faculty as Friedrich Martens, Leon Petrazycki, Nikolai Tagantsev, Aleksandr Gradovsky, Konstantin Kavelin, Maksim Kovalevsky, Anatoliy Koni, and Ilia Zdanevich.

Alexander Blok, Nikolay Gumilev, Leonid Andreyev, Mikhail Zoshchenko, Rainis, Mikhail Vrubel, Sergei Diaghilev, Nicholas Roerich, Igor Stravinsky were the students of the Faculty of Law.